Friday, February 10, 2012

Making a background for pictures taking

Here is how I made a frame to hang white fabric over to use as a background for photos... for only about $4.50! I bought three 5 foot pieces of 1/2 inch pvc pipe, 2 elbow pieces (L shaped) and 2 tee pieces (like the letter T). I found the pvc pipe at my local Menards. I cut one 3 foot piece, two 2 foot pieces, two 18 inch pieces and two 6 inch pieces. I had a three foot piece left. I did use my table saw to cut the pvc pipe, but you can use most any type of hand saw to cut it too. I don't think a carpet knife would work though, you need a serrated edge! The length of the pieces can be adjusted according to your needs. I made mine fairly big as I have some larger items.
Start by putting an elbow piece on each end of the 3 foot piece; then insert a two foot piece into the bottom of each elbow. You will now have a U shaped piece that will hold your background cloth. Next take a tee piece--locate the top of the tee (the side with 2 openings) and insert an 18 inch piece in one side and a 6 inch piece in the other side; repeat with the remaining pieces. These will be your balance supports.
Now all you have to do is insert each leg of the U piece into one of the balance supports and you are done! Doesn't get much easier than that! Quick to put together and easy to break down for storage.
I used an old chenille bedspread and cut a piece measuring 57 inches by 69 inches. I know this is much larger than the frame but you want to allow a couple of feet to hang over the back so it doesn't keep falling down. You may need to pin it if you use a light weight fabric. Of course, you could sew a pocket at the top and slide the pipe through it like a curtain. Now I need to start shooting pictures! Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. This background is so nifty! Love the option of being able to break it down. Thanks for the tutorial Deb! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Although I am finding I'm not liking a white background- I've opted to use other light colored fabrics.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!