Friday, May 25, 2012

My new yard space


Here is how project 'remove more grass' began.  Last summer I found this fountain and metal arbor during some 'Crazy Days' shopping.  You know how one thing leads to another...I told my husband I was doing it for him so he doesn't have to mow around all the bushes. Not sure he bought it, but he did admit it was nice when he mowed after I had finished.
This is what I've done this last week. I took out the rock and the block border along the house then reused the landscaping blocks to make new borders, laid down some fabric and filled it with mulch. My husband humored me when I drug him to Menard's to help me bring home 50 bags of mulch...I used 25 of them here. That way he can say he helped!
I found a concrete bench and added a few plants. I added some other 'yard art' pieces I collected during some after 'Crazy Days' shopping. I love a bargain!  I need to find a few more plants to fill in a little but its a good start. I kind of ran out of gas and need to recharge a little bit!
This side is looking pretty good- I  just need those plants to grow some!



I decided to put plants in the fountain as I have some small neighbor kids that LOVE water...but then, what kid doesn't love to play in the water?


 Here is where another 20 bags of mulch went. We redid our deck last fall and again...one thing leads to another. The edge of the flower bed no longer ended the same place as the deck. Plus, all of the other flower beds in the back yard are mulched and this section had river rock. My neighbor and I loaded rock into wheel barrows and my husband schlepped it across the street to her house for a project. Then I got to put in new edging and mulch. Seems it would have been an easier project than the last one but there was A LOT of rock to move! I've been ending most of my days with a soak in the hot tub so I could move again the next day!

 In between these big projects, I managed to plant my pots and freshen the mulch in the rest of my yard. Some days I wonder what it is that I don't like about winter...sure seems to be a lot less work! Oh well, I need to plant some grass and then remove wall paper from my closet so I can paint it and my bathroom...I know--who wall papers a closet!!! Practically our whole house was papered when we moved in- this is about the last room I have to do. My sewing room is papered yet but I WILL NOT be emptying that room to 'unpaper' it! Ahhh-soon I will be back to creating and crafting.
Until next time, keep smiling!


27 comments:

  1. WOW REALLY BEAUTIFUL IDEAS ......LOOKS NICE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just start digging and see where it takes me. Drives my husband nuts that I really don't have a plan when I start! :O)
      Deb

      Delete
  2. really great looking yard! you did yourself proud on this very large project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy!
      This might have been one of those things that would not have happened if I really knew what I was getting myself into! But now that it is done, I am really glad I did it-sore and tired but happy.
      Deb

      Delete
  3. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Want to come do my yard now? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      My husband is always willing to lend me out- thinks it will save him money if I'm in someone else's yard or house planting or fixing!
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Great looking yard, Deb!! Wow but you've been a work horse! Now you'll be able to set back and enjoy!
    }}Hugs{{
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky!
      I am ready for a break. I am hoping my closet and bathroom project will only take a couple of days and then I will be ready to enjoy the rest of the summer. It's a great feeling!
      Take care,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy!
      That arbor is the piece that started it all- I couldn't resist it! Might have tried a little harder if I would have known how much effort I would put into making it a home :O) All is good when it is done, though!
      Have a great weekend,
      Deb

      Delete
  6. Looks fantastic! Lots of hard work :D
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim!
      I am really glad I tackled this early in the season before temperatures and humidity soar. It was great being outside but I am THRILLED it is done!
      Deb

      Delete
  7. Love the whole wonderful yard! So much work but the results are beautiful. I need to redo my front yard. Wish you were here to help!
    HUGS! Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn!
      My yard has been a work in progress for several years now. I have lots of shade so it has been challenging to find plants that work. As a result, I have over 100 hostas among my shade-lovers! I would love to take the summer to travel around and play in others yards-I will put you on my list :O)
      Deb

      Delete
  8. Love what you did with your yard. Looks really nice!!!
    I still have a few flowers to put in and then to tackle the weeds!!!! AGAIN!!!!

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lois!
      I do love my yard time. Its a good thing summer is relatively short or my crafting would have stiff competition :O)
      I have to find a handful of perennials yet, my friend at Menards says they have 7 trucks of plants coming in by Wednesday-should be able to find something there.
      I use a lot of mulch in my gardens so I don't have many weeds to deal with. Water and fertilizing is about all I need to do once I get spring replacement done.
      Take care,
      Deb

      Delete
  9. A woman's work is never done. It looks nice and serene. Hubby just finished a front yard project. That outdoor maintenance is hard work, but so worth it in the end. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol-
      I hear you...I keep thinking when I get done with this, I should be able to relax. Seems I can't get my hands on that carrot just out of reach...LOL!
      I agree- there is so much satisfaction when you get done and step back to look at the results. Its a natural high.
      You're welcome-thanks for stopping by,
      Deb

      Delete
  10. I love your yard!! I know that was a lot of work but it sure is worth it with the beauty it shows! You can come help me now.LOl Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie!
      It is most definitely hard work, but very rewarding.
      I am happy that I am almost at the 'sit back and enjoy' stage, though.
      I will add you to my list of yards to play in- you will be right after Robyn. My husband loves to lend me out!
      Take care,
      Deb

      Delete
  11. You have been busy! I'm still enjoying the sheep I won in your giveaway! He sits on my dining table alongside a patriotic floral display! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy-
      You made my day- I am tickled you like the sheep!
      I don't seem to have trouble finding something to do!j
      Have a great day-
      Deb

      Delete
  12. Just Fabulous Deb. I wish I had a green thumb and vision. Your yard looks wonderful and relaxing.
    Enjoy,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb!
      Seems my thumb is only green outside- I don't do very well at all with indoor plants.
      I love spending time in my yard, makes me sad our summers are so short.
      Deb

      Delete
  13. Wow what a project! You did a great job! It's nice to have a backyard, but it's so much work. One of my readers wrote in a comment that we have two 'houses' to take care of in spring and summer. That's so true! But I love it when it's finished and everything looks beautiful and tidy.

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Goedele,
      Thanks so much! It is a lot of work-I wondered more than once what I got myself into after I had started. It is a GREAT feeling when it is done. I love spring and early summer when everything is looking good. Stuff usually looks a little sad by the end of the summer thanks to the wind and slugs!
      Take care-
      Deb

      Delete
  14. The metal arbor looks great in the middle and the fountain is a nice touch as well. Were the plants near the fence able to grow out like you wanted?

    Marvel Farias

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!