Sunday, August 5, 2012

Trying a Wood Project

Here is my latest project...no fabric or stuffing involved in this one! My daughter and I saw an airplane rocker we thought the newest man in the family needed. Of course, being the 'try anything' crafty person I am, I pipe up "I can make one of those". Some day I need to learn to think before I speak!! Anyway, I found a pattern and here is how it turned out.
I traced the pattern onto my wood, grabbed my safety goggles and fired up the scroll saw.
A couple of hours later I had a pile of pieces cut out, sanded and ready to paint. I got so excited to put it together I forgot to take a picture of all the painted pieces.
And wouldn't you know it, the assembly diagram was missing from my pattern, so I only had the written directions, but I got it done and everything appears to be in the right place! :o)
Taa-daa...here it is...all together and even personalized with tail numbers and "Li'l G".
This is the first project like this I have done...I feel kind of proud looking at it! Plus it was fun to do!

And here is the new pilot checking out his first plane. Gotta make sure that propeller is going to spin!

This is a special gift for his first birthday that he got a little early when he come to visit Grandpa & Grandma. He sure kept us busy during the day- we let Mom & Dad take the night shift!
They headed back to Indiana today so Grandma is a little sad-it has been awfully quiet around here since they left.

Well, after playing Grandma for the last couple of weeks, I guess it is time for me to get back up to my sewing studio to finish some orders and get some new fall items done!

Take care and keep smiling,
Deb 

21 comments:

  1. Great job Deb!!! Looks like you are a pro, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie!
      Pro might be a little stretch, but I did think it was a good first effort!
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Oh Deb that turned out so cute. It is something he can even keep for his kids, love it! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great week,
    Be blessed,
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindi!
      I hope he treasures it as he gets older!
      Deb

      Delete
  3. How awesome is that! You can clearly turn your hand to anything!
    Your grandson is so cute and very happy looking too that his grandma is so talented!
    Best wishes
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine!
      I do love to try new things.
      He is one busy little boy and kept Grandma on the move all the while he was here! What fun we had!
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Super job, Deb!! Love the little guy handling the aircraft, too!! Glad you got to enjoy some family time. It's priceless!
    }}Hugs{{
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky!
      He is one special little boy! Our time was definitely priceless!
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Oh Deb how SWEET you did an amazing Job Grandma and he sure is enjoying it! Priceless is right!!!
    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda!
      It was a fun project and I hope it provides him with hours of play time!
      Deb

      Delete
  6. Deb, You’re amazing and so is that fabulous airplane!!
    What a keepsake! Thanks for sharing your multi-talented self!!
    Enjoy your day,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barb! You are too kind.
      I sure hated to see him go-went up to my studio for therapy today!
      Have a good evening,
      Deb

      Delete
  7. Love you special gift for a special grandson! He will back for another visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose!
      I can't wait until our next visit- we plan on heading to Indiana to see him for his first birthday next month. More fun!
      Deb

      Delete
  8. What an awesome gift! Great job! You did amazing! Isn't it wonderful to be a grandparent??!! I love it! Blessings~Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara!
      Being Grandma is the best! I absolutely love it!
      Blessings to you,
      Deb

      Delete
  9. Wow, you did a great job. I showed this post to my husband and asked him 'Can we do this? Do we have the right saw?' He said 'Yes we can, but I need to practice more and it takes a lot of time'. So triple Hooray for you Deb!!!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Goedele!
      I say if you have the saw you can do it! This was the first project like this I have tried-all you have to do is follow the lines! It did take quite a bit of time-no doubt about that. If you decide to give it a try let me know- I will give you the web site where I got the pattern.
      Have a great evening-
      Deb

      Delete
  10. That is so adorable Deb and it looks like it was a big hit! Fantastic job on your first project like that!!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Kim!
    I love trying new things! Wonder what else I can find to make that my grandson really needs :0)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Job Deb...I have every kind of saw etc known to mankind from my show days...and painting days..but I am afraid to try to cut my own wood. Hubby did the cutting..and won't know cause he is burnt from too many years of doing it..lol so you did an amazing job..its just perfect!

    Marilyn
    OFG

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!