Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dipping bulbs in silicone

I have a couple of things I want to try this summer and I finally got around to one of them! I had bought a bunch of the plastic flicker candles to use in my crafting, but they needed some help. I painted and grunged them but didn't like the bulb. I had pinned a tutorial on how to dip bulbs in silicone and wanted to try it so here is my effort.

I started by filling my bowl with silicone caulk- deep enough to cover my bulb, added a few drops of scented oil and some mineral spirits to thin the caulk a little.

I wrapped a piece of wire around the bulb to hang it by to dry,
and then dipped the bulb and twisted it as I pulled it out of  the caulk mixture as I didn't want a really smooth finish.



Then I hung them up to dry and took some pictures (which really did not turn out very well and I apologize). Seems simple enough but...in the process of taking pictures I bumped my frame and knocked everything down. Sooooo-I wiped my bulbs off and started all over again. Don't ya hate it when ya clutz out!!
And here is what I ended up with. On some the candle will be cut off to use only the top, and on others the bottom will be inside the item and won't show. I don't have long tails on these bulbs as I used a little thicker caulk mixture since I didn't want them- I just wanted to frost the clear glass bulb. You can add color, cinnamon, or other ingredients for variety but I kept this first venture simple.
Click here to see the tutorial from Sue at Oodlekadoodle Primitives  where I found my inspiration and guidance from.  Visit her blog for complete instructions and see some of the bulbs she has created-she did a wonderful job creating the tutorial!

One project done- at least one more to try. I want to grunge wax candles next-wish me luck!
Deb

18 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh, so THAT'S how they do that?!! Great job, Deb! I snorted when you said you'd knocked 'em down and had to redo....that is SO totally ME!!
    Thanks for sharing....the good and the bad!
    }}Hugs{{
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Vicky-
      Some days life is so humbling! I seem to have more and more days like that lately!! I tell myself it is because I am trying to do too many things at once--whatever gets you through the day, right? LOL
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Those are great! I've always wondered how those are made and it seems easy enough to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim-
      It really was easy-especially the second time! :O)
      I procrastinated all summer and now wonder why! I want to try some with color or cinnamon next.
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Great job Deb! I wish I could do that, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie-
      I'm sure you could do it! The most important thing you need is an outdoor space as it is kind of smelly. I wiped the first bulb off a couple of times for practice-it was pretty forgiving.
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, I had no idea it was that simple. I hate when my silicone bulbs burn out and I dont have any others to replace it with so I just stick a clear bulb in, just doesn't look the same. Definitely gonna give this a try:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori-
      I was surprised how easy it was! I am always looking for economical ways to upgrade things and I will be doing more of these! It is so expensive to buy silicone bulbs.
      Good luck,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. Hi Deb,
    Thanks for sharing this fun tutorial!!
    Enjoy your day,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Barb. A day in my studio with my snowmen-always a fun day!
      Thanks for stopping by-
      Deb

      Delete
  6. What a great tutorial!!! I've tried doing this before but never with mineral spirits. Will have to give this a try again!

    Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy!
      It did help that I wasn't trying to get a real smooth, even look. I think that will take a little more practice! I do like the way they turned out.
      I saw where another lady microwaved the caulk but this method worked for me.
      Deb

      Delete
  7. I'll have to pin this. I bought 2 boxes of small bulbs at a garage sale super cheap, now I need to get the rest of the stuff. I've been wanting to try it too, it's been on my super long "projects to do" list, lol! Sorry, but I had to snicker when you said that you knocked the frame and had to re-do... SO glad I'm not the only one that does that kind of stuff, hehe! Your finished bulbs look awesome, you did a great job on them!

    I think you'll enjoy grunging candles. I got into that a few years ago and now I'm addicting to waxing! I wax just about anything I can get my hands on, lol. My favorite though has to be the hanging icicle ornaments. Anyway, have fun with it and if you have any questions just holler at me. I'm not an expert but after you do something a few times you definitely learn to make short cuts and what NOT to do, ha!

    Have a delightful week~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Angie-
    It is fun to change the look of items-let me know what you think of bulb dipping if you give it a shot! Hopefully you won't have to redip! lol!

    I always have such a long list of things to try. I still haven't done any wax dipping but I hope to very soon! I would love any words of wisdom you have.
    I bet was dipped icicles are cool-wouldn't have thought of that. I think I am going to try some battery votives, too.

    Happy crafting!
    Deb

    I

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Cool!
    I want to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kris-
    I have some more bulbs to dip-think I will experiment with some color or cinnamon or something in the silicone. Should be interesting.

    Happy dipping-

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this. I just found your blog via the Rusty Thimble giveaway:) Love that little hat. I have often seen these candles and thought - there's just something that doesn't quite fit. Nicely done - they are perfect!
    tootles,
    JoeyLea
    http://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Joeylea!
    I figured there had to be some way to use these candles cause the price was sure right! I was hoping to have posted some pictures with them in finished items by now but my list of 'to do' is soooo long. I am getting there.
    Thanks for stopping by-
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!